Eco-Friendly Option for UK Guitarists
Salvaged Guitars: An Eco-Friendly Option for UK Guitarists
If you are a guitarist who cares about the environment, you may want to consider buying a salvaged guitar. Salvaged guitars are guitars that are made from recycled or reclaimed materials, such as wood, metal, plastic, or even parts of other defunct guitars. They are not only eco-friendly, but also unique, affordable, and often have a distinctive sound and character.
Why Choose a Salvaged Guitar?
There are many benefits to choosing a salvaged guitar over a new one. Here are some of them:
- You reduce waste and save resources. By buying a salvaged guitar, you prevent useful materials from ending up in landfills or incinerators. You also save energy and water that would otherwise be used to produce new guitars. According to the World Wildlife Fund, the production of one acoustic guitar can consume up to 10,000 litres of water and emit up to 200 kg of carbon dioxide.
- You support local businesses and craftsmen. Many salvaged guitars are made by small businesses or individual craftsmen who use their creativity and skills to transform discarded materials into musical instruments. By buying a salvaged guitar, you support their work and help them grow their business.
- You get a unique and original guitar. No two salvaged guitars are exactly alike. Each one has its own history, story, and personality. You can find salvaged guitars that are made from old furniture, fence posts, roof timbers, flooring, or even parts of vintage guitars. Some salvaged guitars have interesting features, such as engravings, carvings, paintings, or stickers. You can also customise your salvaged guitar to suit your preferences and style.
- You save money. Salvaged guitars are often cheaper than new ones, especially if you buy them directly from the makers or online shops. You can find salvaged guitars for as low as £25.00. Of course, the price may varies depending on the quality, condition, and rarity of the materials and parts used.
Where to Find Salvaged Guitars in the UK?
There are many places where you can find salvaged guitars in the UK. Here are some of them:
- Online shops. There are several online shops that specialise in selling salvaged guitars and guitar parts. For example, Rat Bait Guitars offers hand-built guitars made from recycled materials, like old furniture, fence posts, or roof timbers. They also sell recycled individual parts, such as bodies, necks, pickups, bridges, etc.
- Guitar auctions. If you are looking for rare or vintage salvaged guitars, you may want to check out guitar auctions. There are several guitar auction houses in the UK that hold regular sales of guitars and related items. For example, Guitar Auctions is based in the South-West and offers a large selection of guitars, amps, and memorabilia from various eras and genres.
- Local shops and markets. You can also find salvaged guitars in local shops and markets that sell second-hand or antique items. You may have to do some digging and bargaining to find a good deal, but you may also discover some hidden gems.
- DIY projects. If you are feeling adventurous and creative, you can also make your own salvaged guitar from scratch or by modifying an existing one. You can use any materials or parts that you can find or buy cheaply, such as wood scraps, metal cans, plastic bottles, wires, etc. You can also use online tutorials or guides to help you with the process.
Salvaged guitars are an eco-friendly option for UK guitarists who want to play music while reducing their environmental impact. They are also unique, affordable, and often have a distinctive sound and character. You can find salvaged guitars in various places online or offline or even make your own if you have the skills and tools.
Source: Conversation with Bing, 01/05/2023
(1) . https://bing.com/search?q=salvaged+guitars+UK.
(2) Guitar Auctions. https://guitar-auctions.co.uk/.
(3) Rat Bait Guitars Made From Recycled Wood | Guitar Parts. https://www.ratbaitguitars.co.uk/.